Sunday, November 23, 2014

Dr. Bird's Advice For Sad Poets By Evan Roskos
Blog Post

This book is about a young man dealing with depression and his completely clueless parents.
The relationship between the main character, James and his parents is probably the most important relationship in the entire book. His parents are completely oblivious to James' problems and they couldn't care less about what he is going through, not to mention the fact that their daughter is living in a termite-infested apartment with no money. James is in denial about his depression and anxiety and has no idea how to be happy. He doesn't fight with his parents at all. He simply does what he is told and goes about his home life quietly. His parents barely acknowledge his existence. I don't think his parents really realize how hard they are making it for James and for themselves. The relationship between James and his parents is unstable and almost estranged, and seems to be unfixable. I really thought that James and his parents would end up becoming closer by the end of the book and I was surprised when they didn't, but the resolution to this conflict was how James came to terms with his family issues.

4 comments:

  1. This response has made me want to read this book because of your intriguing summary of it and how you stated the conflict. Nice job closing the response and in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! I would liek to congratulate you on your stellar writing! I felt that this synthesis was choc full o' details and very creative writing choices. The words and phrases you decided to utilize supported the overall quality of this extravagant piece. I Felt that the majority of the piece had an excellent balance of retell and assumption/opinion. The conclusion was masterfully crafted, including a little bit of personal insight or prediction about this interesting novel, and an ending line about how the books conflict was resolved, or acknowledged.

    gucci!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made your claim extremely clear by not only restating it but providing strong evidence. Great job Ronald!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you illustrate the different relationships in your blog post. You synpathize with many of the characters this way

    ReplyDelete